Hope Vale township is situated 46km northwest of Cooktown and is located in a valley surrounded by tropical native bushland, mountain ranges, pristine coastal and diverse flora and fauna, Hope Vale has a population of approximately 1300 people.
Hope Vale is home to thirteen clan groups who mostly speak Guugu Yimithirr and other related languages, as well English.
Hope Vale has a range of community services including:
- Community: Child Care Centre, Community Justice Group, Commonwealth Home & Support Program, Sports and Recreation, Centrelink, My Pathways, Family Responsibilities Commission
- Education: Kindergarten, Primary School
- Facilities: Radio Station, Indigenous Knowledge Centre, Lutheran Church, SES
- Health: Aged Care, Health Centre, Disability Services, Well Being Centre, Swimming Pool, Splash Park, Sport Centre
- Retail: Cafes, Service Station, Supermarket, Post Office, Fishing and Tackle Store, Mechanical Service Workshop
- Tourism: Arts & Cultural Centre, Elim Camp Ground, Guurrbi Tours, Maaramaka Walkabout Tours
Endeavour Valley Road between Hope Vale and Cooktown is fully sealed, making access for tourists and visitors to Hope Vale a scenic and enjoyable drive.