Alcohol Management Plan

The restricted area is the Hope Vale Shire and includes all public and private place.

Section of the Isabella Creek- McIvor River Road, Barrett Creek Road and Cameron Creek Road that pass through the shire are excluded from the restricted area because they lead to private properties in Cook Shire.

It is an offence to drink in a public place.

  • People living in Hope Vale my apply to have their home declared a 'dry place'.

  • The maximum amount of alcohol that a person can have in the restricted area is:

    • 11.25 litres (1 carton of 30 x 375ml cans) of light or mid-strength beer


    • 750 ml (1 bottle) of unfortified wine.

    Cask wine, fortified wine, full-strength beer and pre-mixed spirits are not allowed in Hope Vale.

    This amount is per person on foot or per vehicle, boat or aircraft regardless of the number of people in it.

  • Maximum penalties for possessing illegal alcohol in the restricted area are:

    • first offence 375 penalty units (currently $53,906)
    • second offence 525 penalty units (currently $75,468) or 6 months imprisonment
    • third or subsequent offence 750 penalty units (currently $107,812) or 18 months imprisonment.

    Vehicles found carrying alcohol above the set quantity in the restricted area may be confiscated.

    It is also an offence to attempt to bring alcohol above the set quantity into the restricted area. The maximum is 375 penalty units (currently $53,906).

    The maximum penalty for possessing alcohol in a dry place is 19 penalty units (currently $2,731).

    These penalties apply to all people living in, travelling through, visiting or working in the restricted area.

    The penalty unit from 1 July 2022 is $143.75.

  • It is illegal to sell alcohol without a licence or permit (sly grog) in Queensland. Penalties apply.

    To report incidents of sly grog phone the confidential Sly Grog Hotline on 1800 500 815.

  • You can also call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for more information about alcohol limits.

    Or visit the Alcohol restrictions in Queensland Communities page